Inspired by their first tour to Canada in 1890, Lord and Lady Aberdeen determined upon the construction of a community hall like those they had seen in Canada. Built south of the house the “Canadian Hall” was originally an indoor tennis court, reading room and library for the domestic staff. It also contained provisions for meeting and concerts.
After the Second World War, David and June Gordon founded the Haddo House Choral and Operatic Society, which took advantage of the wonderful acoustic of the wooden building.
Over the years the Hall has seen performances from many distinguished artists, including Ralph Vaughan Williams, Benjamin Britten, Peter Pears, Leon Goosens and Dame Janet Baker. In more recent times artists such as Scottish Opera, Scottish Ballet, Willard White and numerous others have performed in this wonderful venue.
Visitors to the Hall should allow at least 10 minutes to get to it from the car park.